The project had five main aims:
- To enhance physical access to the historic British archaeological collections by improving and rationalising the storage conditions for the objects and archives.
- To enhance collections management information and procedures for the British collections to ensure optimal long-term care of the material and enable ease of retrieval of material for researchers.
- To enhance the research potential of the collection by improving documentation, including reuniting information with objects where these essential relationships have been lost.
- To increase professional and public awareness of the collection through deposition of data with heritage bodies and through development of an online database of the collection.
- To improve intellectual access to the collections by developing finding aids and learning resources for the collection and making them available on the project website.
All of these aims were achieved.
Please find out more about the collections on this website, and contact the department to make an appointment to consult the collections.